Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Long Days in the Lab

It's a good thing the days are long; I can spend hours in the lab and still have time to run and bike. I'm posting a photo of the final view of a jacketed rock sample about to go into the pressure vessel (a place where we put huge confining pressures on the rock to simulate the conditions it experiences at about 2 km beneath the Earth's surface).

And here's the monster machine which applies the pressures. It's called the biaxial shear apparatus or "biax" for short. There are a lot of buttons and knobs to learn to use!

2 comments:

  1. We;ve started to get some quakes around here -- the epicenter nailed at just 2 miles away! It's nice to think that you may have an effect on future knowledge and the practical application of it all. Hope to see you very soon... still in the works!;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha.

    Now I know what your long standing latex issue is!

    Love you

    ReplyDelete