Sunday, November 15, 2009

Summer at Sumner






Summer has officially started in Christchurch. Last week was New Zealand Cup and Show week in Christchurch, a huge week-long festival centred around Canterbury Anniversay Day, a public holiday. See the festivities at NZ Cup and Show. Christchurch hosts the NZ trotting cup at Addington Raceway, the NZ galloping cup at Riccarton Raceway, and the Royal New Zealand A&P Show... a huge fairground full of the best Agriculture and Produce grown in New Zealand, as well as food stalls, rides, tractors, harvesters, sheep shearing contests, dog trials, etc.

We celebrated Cup and Show week in style too, starting with the sound of horses' thundering hooves at a Riccarton Raceway gallop, followed by a manic tie-dye t-shirt party on Monday and finishing with a trip to our favourite local beach, Sumner Beach. I have posted some pictures of our beach trip, the highlight for me. I love Sumner Beach, with its dogs-allowed policy, rock pools, sailboats, spectacular cliffs of volcanic rock, and heaps of happy dogs, children and people. It is simply impossible to be unhappy at Sumner Beach, surrounded by beauty and covered by a clear blue sky. I would post some pictures of James painting the shed and me gardening, but that just isn't as fun :-)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like lots of warm fun. I think I should live in the southern hemisphere October - March and the northern hemisphere April to September. Or, maybe I should just live at the equator - yeh, that's what I should do. I was never meant to live in a place as cold as PA.
    I sent you a link earlier that I now see was a bit to late. I hope the tie dying was a success, and I look forward to seeing some pictures (I hope!).
    Enjoy the summer!
    Melinda

    ReplyDelete