Monday, October 19, 2009

It's Official



Putting the Kiwi in Kiwi Observer. I am now a New Zealand Citizen!! In a ceremony at the Christchurch Town Hall last night, over 180 people were granted citizenship. Most of the people were British or Korean along with 4 Americans, a few Europeans, several Indians, and many Pacific Islanders. The mood was joyous and celebratory, and the ceremony started with traditional songs and dances by Nga Tai E Rua. Following that, we took the New Zealand Citizenship Oath of Allegiance.

I swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of New Zealand, her heirs and successors, according to law, and that I will faithfully observe the laws of New Zealand and fulfil my duties as a New Zealand citizen. So help me God.

At first, I was a little dubious about swearing allegiance to the Queen. What would my revolutionary ancestors think? But then I thought about being a kiwi like Anna and James, and about how much I love New Zealand, and I decided that one good boat ride across an ocean deserves another. Like the pilgrims, I came here to live idealistically, in peace and pursuit of family values and very cool rocks (not Plymouth rock, Pacific plate rocks).

Afterwards, Mayor Bob Parker (called His Worship) shook everyone's hand and awarded the certificates. Anna sat on my lap whispering "secrets" (like "look at her shoes!") to me the whole program (2 hours!) and we admired the traditional formal dress of the different nationalities. A delightful reception with tea, coffee, mini sandwiches and strawberry shortcakes followed the ceremony.

A car full of happy kiwis then drove home to share the good news with Belle, who joined the celebration by wagging her tail and jumping up and down.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! I love that you have a blog. It makes me feel more involved in what's going on in your life. I love you!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete